Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Franco & God

I am writing my Spanish History paper on Franco and his impact on the Spanish population during his reign from the 1930s to 1970s. I should mention that I do plan on posting it on my blog once complete, even though no one else will understand it. So I went through this paper with my tutor, she's Sevilliano, and she thoroughly improved what I wrote. Something to note: I am writing as very anit-Franco, as everyone I've come across has been. I labeled him as a cancer to democracy during that period. My tutor, Nuria, was reading a certain paragraph where I explain that more than 500,000 Spaniards fled to France, and then some were forced back to Spain. Nuria's grandma was one of those people. She was on the verge of tears while reading that part. I really didn't know what to say... but wow. History right in your face. Her grandma was a part of that!

Bible Study: What a great study. Rosie, an Australian, whose parents are missionaries, gave a great study about why she (and all of us) don't trust God. These points included fear and independence. Her parents left when she was 16 so she learned to be independent from her parents. When they got back she tried to explain hat she didn't need their help anymore. When they left once again when she was 18, Rosie got a lip-ring to proclaim her independence from all. She told us that she's always given excuses for why not to take out the ring, because, after all, she's learned to DEPEND on God. She took our her lip ring at the Bible study for good. It was so great.

Worship! It's been a long time since I was able to worship God with others, since a church service about a month ago. We had a couple guitars and the 20 of us did some singing in a local park. Oh yes, we got some stares. But I get those anyways when I'm not worshipping... ;)

Second Languages:
I think as an American that always talks Spanish to Spaniards such as in class, at the store, at home, etc. it's accepted that I only speak so fluently. I am only so able to communicate. I have two classes where the professors talk in Spanish. Gustavo is another example. Every once in a while, though extremely rare, they utter something in English. After looking up to them as brilliant Spanish minds - it's comical to hear they're English. They sound foolish. I'm not saying this in a mean way - I'm just used to being the one that can't speak the foreign language very well. It's great when the tables turn.

My Spanish History class, the one where I am going to be fighting for a B- is going quite well. 1) praying before class starts is key - I pray for peace and perspective on how important this class really is. 2) We have been discussing Franco all week and so I have participated about half a dozen times in two days. I prolly participated a total of two times the last two months. 3) I think my paper will rock the house.

Well, I see my parents in two days and couldn't be more excited!! Safe travels you two!! +34 633 477 344 is my number.

No comments:

Post a Comment