Saturday, April 10, 2010

Gustavo is Back!

...for the weekend. I got up this morning early to head across the street to work on my Spanish paper. It is really hard to get work done when you're in Europe in the midst of perfect weather facing an extremely boring topic. I took some notes on the topic and made it back to the apartment at abou 12. I set aside all of the stuff I want to send home with my parents - lots of stuff ;) and just relaxed during the afternoon, anticipating lunch. Lunch never happened.

It was 3:15 and sill no one else was home to make lunch. So I found food sitting in the oven, it was turned off, and I threw that in the microwave and ate in my room. Turns out they got a flat tire on the way home. After some hot chocolate at a local coffee shop slash bar where I felt really out of place - just for being an American, you know, that sort of thing, I went back to grab dinner with the fam.

Side note: Being generous is a good thing and to God you should be a sacrificial giver. Think about that. So in the bar I was at today a woman approached me and asked me for money. I had money in my pocket, plenty. I didn't give her any. I am asked almost daily for money from somebody. There's typically people waiting ouside mainstream grocery stores asking for money. Now - yes it would be generous to give her money, and she probably needs it more than I do. HOWEVER, where is that money going? I would hope it would go for food and other necesities. So, clearly my money would be better used by going to a food shelf, soup kitchen, Feed My Starving Children, etc. where I know the money is going to feed the hungry. However, what if she is going to go straight to the grocery store afterwards to feed her kids. How dare I judge her and assume worse things? What do you all think?

Our two favorite neighbors came over today. I still don't know if they're married or live together or anything. I would put them both at about 60-65. The man is the one that played professional soccer for 14 years, 6 for Seville. We watched one of the biggest soccer games of the year, Madrid vs. Barcelona where Barca won 2-0. I'm off to bed, hopefully I can get all of my homework done tomorrow which will take some stress off this coming week. I will probably be meeting Micah's parents tomorrow for lunch as well so that should be fun.

Peace!

2 comments:

  1. Austin
    I typically give a little. I don't know if I am to judge how other adults spend it. It is easy to say " they will just use it for booze" but is that just a easy way not to give? I don't always but often I do.

    Mom says no. I guess we are not much help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin,

    I agree with Joel. The other option is always to ask them if they're hungry and go buy them a mcdonalds meal, or buy them a gift card to one of those restaurants, then they can only use it for food...

    Zach

    ReplyDelete