Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Senagese

The people from Senegal are on many street corners trying sell things to trafic at a red light and Sevillianos walking on the sidewalk. They're almost always in very cheerful moods and get along great with the population. I am typically at the same cafe by my apartment and have noted that the same man works the same traffic light 8:00-8:00 every day. Doesn't matter how hot it is or if it's raining, he's working. I rarely see him make a sale, although he's always fist bumping and high fiving anyone with their window down. They live in overcrowded apartments.

I decided to ask Ana her opinion on the matter. Here's what I learned:

1. The majority are doctors or teachers back in Senegal. They've taken formal education but opted to come here.
2. No one will hire them, she didn't know of one African immigrant working in any store or restaurant for any business.
3. One Senagese man found a bank bag with 5000 Euros and handed it in to the police and went straight back to work. Wow.
4. I asked Ana if she felt Spain was somewhat racist towards them and I think she was saying not really. But I pointed out that they can't find a job anywhere. No one will hire them.

Well, that's it for that.

Today I went to the Colegio Claret as previously mentioned, then returned for a nap followed by lunch. At about 5 Kelly and I went to my favorite cafe and sat in the cool shade until about 8. Afterwords I actually worked out. I ran to the Cathedral and back (touched the closest corner :) ) which took 29 minutes. I then did some abdominales and grantija (situps and pushups). Dinner was good, fresh tomatos and spring rolls. Finally, I capped off the night with watching the Liverpool - Atletico Madrid game which went to overtime.

I still don't understand agregate scoring:
If a team wins 3-0 and then loses 0-2, they win overall 3-2. (Typically in tournaments teams play twice). Liverpool was up 1-0 at the end of regulation and then it went into overtime. I assumed that Liverpool must have lost 0-1, or 1-2, or 2-3 etc the first time. But then, each team scored a goal in overtime and that meant that Atletico Madrid advanced (won) even though they lost the match 1-2. I dont know.

Oh well, have a good Wednesday night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment