Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bull Fight

I went to the bull fight today. It was basically what you would expect, men ganging up and killing a bull. I wasn't ready to leave because of the blood or the fact that they're killing a bull. I'm very glad I saw this Spanish tradition today. I don't really need to see it again. Not because I am opposed to it, but it wasn't overly entertaining. After about the 4th killed bull (6 were killed), I'd seen it all. Probably the most interesting part is what you see on the video. Here's what happens in a bull fight. The bull enters the ring alone. A bunch of guys come out and mess with the bull (none of them are THE "bullfighter"). Two guys on horseback come out and one of them will stab the bull in the back and draw blood. Then the bull is played with by the group of men again. Afterwords, three guys stab the bull with two long sticks (video). Then, the bullfighter messes with the bull alone. After about 5 minutes, he switches swords and stabs the bull in the back. A good fighter should only need to stab him once. One fighter had to do it four times. That's bad. Then the bull is dragged out of the ring by a group of three horses.

The seats in the bull ring were less comfortable than bleachers. They were skinnier, and made of brick. The heat was incredible. I wore jeans and a shirt. I was boiling. Such a mistake to wear pants. I figured it wouldn't end until 930 so it'd get chilly. I forgot I was in Seville.

A woman offered us a vanilla wafer-type snack. We politely said no about seven times. She refused to take no for an answer - it wasn't bad. Just something you don't experience in the USA.

It's hard to believe that today I was watching a bull fight in the heat and next week I'll be watching LOST, eating cereal in the basement.

I have my business spanish final tomorrow afternoon. Then, on Wednesday, I have my Managing Cultural Diversity final and... eso es. I'm done. I'm going to study a bit tonight, a bit tomorrow morning and the final will go well. I've received near perfect scores on both midterms so no pase nada.


No comments:

Post a Comment