Sunday, May 23, 2010

Travel Day to USA

Travel Day

I went to bed the night before at about 3, got up at about 4:45. Micah left at that time, so we said our goodbyes then. I’ll miss Micah, he’s a great guy, roommate and friend. Our sarcasm and personalities are very similar, although we’ve agreed that we would prolly swim in different circles if at the same University. I left at 5:30 for the bus stop. I have taken about five airport buses (to the airport obviously) and each one first goes to the train station. Just to be careful, I asked the bus driver if it went to the train station and he said no. Awesome. With about 5 euros left it wasn’t sufficient for a cab so opted to walk. It was now about 6:10. I was hoping to change to a 7:15 train. I walked about 40 minutes, dragging my luggage, sweating profusely, but I made it. Train ride was nice, for the 10 minutes or so that I was actually awake :)

Arrived at 10 in Madrid. Took me an hour to wind through the metro system to the airport terminal. So I got to the airport at 11 for my 1240 flight – talk about cutting it close. I ran into two Americans from my program that paid for a taxi to the train station in Seville, as well as taxi train station to airport in Madrid. Lots of money. I made it through the airport without any glitches. I’m enjoying my window seat, neck pillow on, preparing for a nap. Oh, and my bag was 22 kg, and I’m allowed 23! Perfect. No adjustments needed. I’m reading a great book that Micah gave me Civil Action by Jonathan Harr. I recommend it. I should land at about 2:30 London time for my 3:45 flight. Won’t have to go through security or recollect my bag so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Oh! And I got a B+ in my history class! It was originally a B but VERY close to a B+ so I asked him if he could raise it and he basically said no problem! He said I participated more than anyone else so I deserve it :)

Writing this portion on my second flight:
I think I’m fairly smelly. I’ve broken out into a good sweat about 4 times by now, a long-sleeve shirt was a bad choice. I got off the Madrid to London flight and rushed to make my 3:45 flight. I got off the plane at about 2:55. I managed to beg my way into the business class lines to make it through security faster, and made it to my terminal just as we were boarding. My seat on the long flight is okay. I have more leg room than normal, but my window seat is windowless. Also, I have no place to put my bag under the seat in front of me (because there is no seat in front of me), so I had to put it above. Nothing is allowed on the floor so it’s difficult to switch off reading the bible, my book, using the computer, and snacking. A Civil Action, Micah’s book, is really good. I’m already on page 100.

I may try to nap a bit if I can. Overall, I just want to try and make it home tonight, not stay in a hotel. I’ve stayed in enough hotels. It’s now 12:10 Minnesota time (7 PM for me) and I’m going back to my book.

Writing this portion at HOME:
I made it through the flight just fine, passed by customs and saw my parents. I see my dad from afar and just give the old fist raise that I made it! It was great seeing my parents. The drive back went smoothly. We left at 7 and made it home at 2. Well done Mom and Dad. I slept 11-2. It’s good to be home.

There’s a big Welcome Home Austin sign in the living room. I’ll post again soon. It was a good trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment