Sunday, January 31, 2010

Faro, We Hardly Knew You

What a weekend. The title is because we really didn't do or spend much time in Faro. Let's start with Friday.

Micah and I went for a run towards the Cathedral to exchange some money, sign up for "Hablo Espanol," a promise to only speak spanish, and to pick up my mail from CIEE. Thank you M+D and grandma Savat, I loved the letters! I also received, from the apartment, a leter from G+G Rumsey, thank you both so much! The ride to Faro went pretty smoothly, arriving at the hostel by about 6:00 PM. The hostel was phenomenal actually. We had our own room with two beds, provided towels, shower gel, and they cleaned and made our beds each day. The SHOWERS. Oh man, POWER. It was a small taste of home. WE took three 20 minutes showers while we were there. :) We had dinner just before sunset on a wall overlooking the vast wetlands with our homemade sandwiches and oranges. We then wandered around the small city for a couple hours, having been asked several times for money for the "bus". How easily are we recognized as Americans? Our goal is always to save money on weekend travels. We spent 8 Euros each on groceries before leaving which will hopefully last us the weekend. To cap off the night, we went to a coffee shop overlooking a small harbor where I enjoyed some green tea (cha), Micah had some hot chocolate and we discussed religion and politics, as always :).

We overslept on Saturday, but then realized that Portugal was an hour earlier. Last night, we kept asking these guys why a show hadn't started because it was 11:20, and it was supposed to start at 11:00. They probably thought we were foolish Americans, not knowing the right time. Breakfast at the hostel was excelent, we were waited on! We decided to take a bus to Olhao to take a ferry to Armonia. Bus and ferry round trip combined = 7 Euros a person. The beach was breathtaking. Will post photos soon. It was probably about 68 degrees and sunny and we had the beach to ourselves. A great, relaxing, cheap day. We got there at about noon and left at 5:30. Everyone on the island has sand yards, with cactii and odd plants. In Granada I spent about 115 Euros, 76 in Faro. After dinner and showers we returned to the same cafe for hot chocolates and played some rummy. At any other card game, he dominates. I, however, cannot lose in rummy.

Sunday was very quiet. We slept in and relaxed, had lunch and read by the wetlands. We did, however, have our first encounter with very legitimate pick-pocketers (guy and girl). It was so obvious, but I can see how they would be successful. What time is it? Is this your toy sword? (Micah bought it for a costume for Carnival in Cadiz). They played with that for a while, then wanted to see our belt buckle? to see what brands we were wearing? To take a photo with their arms around us? Ha don't worry, they got nothing. We almost missed the bus home, because we waited at Gate 3 for our bus, as it was supposed to be there. The driver from Gate 5 asks us if we're headed to Seville and then makes us feel dumb for not assuming that it was his bus we should have been getting on. Oh well, we made it home. A Spaniard overheard Micah and I debating if I should take History of Spain in english or spanish and he convinced me that I'm foolish to come here and take classes in English. Okay. Well, time for homework. Oh, and the superbowl is tonight? I'm still sick to my stomach about the Vikes game, I'll watch tonight but I don't want to.

Oh, lastly, I'm concerned that I won't be able to see all of the places that I would like to in Europe. But, I'll do all I can. If I travel nearly every weekend, I shall consider it a success.

Aust

1 comment:

  1. You have another week before the Super Bowl. But you might miss out on the Pro Bowl which I know you look forward to every year. :>)

    Thanks for all the great updates - it is really nice to keep up with all your adventures.
    --Mark

    ReplyDelete