Monday, January 4, 2010

With the Bethel Crew

I joined with the Bethel group for dinner on the evening of the third, where I once again enjoyed fish and chips. For me, as well as the whole Bethel group (I learned later), had not had lunch and so were all very hungry. Kyle, myself, Brett, Peter and Zach were all at the same table and easily devoured our meals. As we got up to leave, we noticed that the girls table ate about half of their fish and chips or bangers and mash. We were dissapointed. It was fun to talk with Dan Leafblad a bit and see his passion for the European trip. We then watched a movie on the approaching World War II from the perspective of winston Churchill. He is a fascinating man. Two baths a day? I also wasn't aware that he would have been considered a failure if he had died before the war or if the war had not transpired. Hmmm.

Today (it is now 4:00 in London), we went to the Churchill Museum and War Rooms. He was a very witty man. A woman once told him "If you were my husband, I would poison your coffee." He responded with "If you were my wife, I'd drink it." That was fascinating, I guess he would work 18 hour days in there, but only slept there three times during the war. It was somewhat protected and reinforced but if a bomb fell directly on it, the area wouldn't be able to withstand the bomb. The shelter wasn't far below ground. I found that interesting. Also, the Germans weren't aware that England had cracked their code during the war until after the fact.

Next, we went to the Imperial War Museum which is a short walk from Zach's apartment. We focused on WWII and looked at some of the weapons and uniforms. There was a "stand in line" exhibit where you experience Blitzkrieg War - a wasted ten minutes of my life. Nothing happened - nor did I learn anything. We then went up to the 5th floor for the Holocaust Exhibit. Yikes. I wasn't aware of all of the steps leading up to full-fledged mass-murdering. Such as the propoganda to shed a negative light on Jews, to encourage/force civilians to avoid shopping at their stores and such. I wasn't aware that Hitler and his party highlighted how their past was mostly to blame on the Jews. Overall, its somewhat indescribable.

Les Mis tonight. Nap now. Bye!

Aust

No comments:

Post a Comment