Tuesday, January 12, 2010

First Day of School

Okay… starting with last night (Sunday) I believe. I napped from 4:30-6:30 after my lunch. I then went into la sala (living room) to watch a game of soccer with the parents, thiago, a woman who I believe is a part time baby sitter or close friend, a senora from downstairs who also has a student, a grandmother, and an older man that I think may be a grandparent or simply a neighbor. Two of them came over fully clothed (they all came fully clothed) but also had bathrobes on as a jacket. It was really fun listening to them and watching the game. I learned that this grandpa/older man played for Argentina and Seville professionally as a goal keeper during a period of 15 years. I currently don’t have internet access in my room, I need to do some playing around on the modem. Sorry for signing off without warning Anne!! Our house is freeeeezing, its warm under all of my blankets but otherwise is very cold. They use a heater to warm up the living room but otherwise the house remains cold. I bought a bus pass this morning and made it to the UPO (Universidad Pablo de olavide).
Note: I understand why many Spaniards don’t like Americans or think we’re foolish. There are many things that others have done (of course I’ve made mistakes, but not big ones) that simply are unbelievable. For example, a girl went to the discoteca and dropped it without noticing and someone took out all of her cash. Point 2 of this story: She elected to have about 400 Euros in her purse. WHY? Anyways… on to better things
I had my first class today, in which I was put in the advanced class ( there is elementary 1, elementary 2, intermediate 1, intermediate 2, and advanced). There’s two girls at the U and both of which have taken through 1004 with me, one is in advanced with me, one is in elementary 2?? Ha. The class was good, I like my professor. I think that my Spanish will drastically improve over time. Tonight we are going to Plaza Nervion in my neighborhood to get cell phones. We were all going to go when class ended at 1:00 until realizing that Spain is not interested in becoming more profitable, and thus we must go once the shops reopen after siesta time, at 5:30. Snow is big in the news right now, everyone is talking about it. Thiago and I have a fun time together. It’s difficult however, because he doesn’t always know what he can and cannot do, and he is not a good listener. For example, we were playing with ping pong paddles and a ball in his room, and then he started pounding the wall with his paddle and making marks! All I could say in Spanish was no, or careful, but those words aren’t very descriptive. I think that having people over for a soccer match or something might be okay with my family, but I’ll give it a few weeks to feel it out. Anyways, I need another nap. Catch you all later!

Austino

No comments:

Post a Comment