Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Home Alone in London

I feel like Kevin from Home Alone. In a huge city wondering the streets. Yesterday and today I've intentionally slept in til noonish to prepare for my all-nighter tonight as I await my 7:25 AM flight in the airport (because its free). I went to the Imperial War Museum accross the street for a second time to check out some of the tanks and planes from WWII, as well as read more about WWI. I then walked by the London Eye to see many people on the streets in colorful outfits. I'm sure many of you have seen this before, one woman was simply standing there with her hundreds of piercings all over her body, another couple was spray-painted in silver to look like statues, and one guy and I want to say his young son were in green suits on bikes, in which they would pedal if you gave them money. Lame.

I then walked accross the river to get some shots of parliament and Big Ben. I watched V for Vendetta while I was here because all of the scenes are from London. It was quite difficult to get myself with those buildings all by myself. I made the trip accross the bridge to tour the Westminster Abbey (thanks Matt Sauer). It was really interesting, not to mention HUGE. There are so many well-known historical figures there. They are everywhere. I think I should have tried to come to Westminster for free this past Sunday for church (rather than yesterday for 12 pounds. However, I went to Hillsong church on Sunday and that was well worth it.

I'm now just about completely packed up and waiting to leave this apartment for the airport. I am going to have dinner at the Three Stags accross the street, a pub. I leave at 9:00 PM tonight to begin the most epic five months of my life. Even though I have full confidence it will be the best time of my life - I wish I could be overly excited right now with less nervousness. Once I meet my host family and move in, all will be well. I heard a rumor that possibly all homestays are now required to have wireless. Let's hope that that is the case. Otherwise anyone that wants to skype with me in the states will be doing so in the early morning (while I am at school :) ). The last thing that I have to do here: return three keys to the security at the front desk. One for Zach's room, one for Erik Anderson's, and one for Pedro's. I don't even live here. This will be very weird. But as some famous guy said, its better to do and then apologize than ask for permission. My next blog will likely come from Spain! Oh the adventures to come! I miss you all. Perhaps I will blog at the airport.

Austino

No comments:

Post a Comment